My blog makes it clear I don't identify as a Grey Nomad (GN) and I also claimed there were some general features that made GNs easily identifiable. Now I've been asked to put my money where my mouth is - exactly what constitutes a GN?
Only thing is, there's so many different ideas about GNs that it's actually quite difficult to settle on just one definition. So I haven't!
If you're wondering whether or not you are a GN, or display any GN tendencies, wonder no more! Complete my easy quiz below by giving yourself a point for each statement below with which you agree!
How to tell if you're a Grey Nomad:
- You have non-standard wording somewhere on your rig (eg 'Adventure before Dementia'; 'At my age I'm happy to be driving ANYTHING!'; 'SKIN - Spend the kid's inheritance NOW' etc)
- You have your names (eg 'Don & Donna') and/or the name of your rig (eg 'Beatzwurkin', 'Wannabego') and/or a mission statement (eg 'Livin' the Dream', 'The Old and the Restless') somewhere on your rig
- The model name of your van (eg 'Horizon', 'Destiny', 'Freedom', 'Sun Cruiser') appealed to you, and may have even been a contributing factor when choosing it
- You have at least one pet that travels with you
- It takes at least an hour, usually more to set up on site - but it's worth it to have all your home comforts around you
- One of the first things you do after setting up is sweep the slab
- Another thing you do after setting up is find out when/where happy hour is
- For you, the caravan park and Visitor Information Centre are end destinations - sightseeing is less important
- There's at least one dingle on your rig from reversing it onto your site when no drive through sites were available
- The laundry is a great information exchange - you collect/leave tourist brochures there and discuss where to go/not go with other park guests when doing your washing
0-3: HHHMMMmmm... you've got some work ahead of you to become a true GN
4-6: It's a start - you're well on the way to being a GN. Maybe after your next trip!
7-10: Congratulations! You're a GN through and through!
Now before you get started on me, there's nothing actually wrong with any of the above - these are just indicators that I've noticed on mytravels over many years! Let me know if I've missed anything, or misunderstood!
See you next time!