At first glance, this sign in Far North Queensland's Atherton appears to be a fairly standard 'No Parking' notice. But is it really? A few deviations, slight, but immediately detectable by your sign-junkie-sleuth MAY show something more sinister...
- Generally, a no-parking area would be signed 'No Parking Anytime'. Note the difference!
- Available times or other instructions are normally listed underneath - as they are here - but are a little different to 'normal' instructions (you may have to enlarge the shot for a closer look)
- AND ... not least is the strategic placement. This doesn't appear to be the usual metal pole used for official signs ...
What does it all mean?? Buggered if I know! But here's a multiple choice questionnaire - put your favourite response in a comment below!
- The town of Atherton is the closet renegade signmaker capital of Australia, if not the world!
- It's a competition. The first person to a) notice and b) report it and c) in the most creative entry wins a prize! (I'm kinda hoping it's this one ...)
- The track from the Hallorans Hill lookout that wends down through a weird crater, and emerges at this sign is a portal into a parallel universe.
- Disgruntled locals are making a statement that viewers, including hapless travellers and the local council, just can't ignore!
- The sign directs UFO traffic out of Atherton enabling Wycliffe Well to maintain its proud heritage as UFO capital of Australia, if not the world!
- The nails contain a deadly poison that will subtly do away with the tree - this way no one will suspect why the tree died ...
- It's a modern art installation.
- None of the above! Put the REAL answer in your comment below!!
PS Apologies for the poor picture quality - this is what happens when one is trying to be surreptitious about taking pix in a dark, eerie spot with dim eerie light!!