|Mounts Lidgbird and Gower|
For a favourite place to make it onto my favourite places list, it's got to be able to deliver experiences I can't have anywhere else. In Australia, if not the world!
And a selection of good bakeries doesn't hurt either …
Stepping onto the 1km airstrip bisecting Lord Howe Island and into a Bali Hai-esque panorama featuring the twin peaks of Mounts Lidgbird and Gower was a splendid start to our April 2011 stay.
And from there it just got better and better.
|The Golf Course|
The lagoon surrounded by the world's southernmost coral reef (and where new fish species are still being discovered) is the only place in NSW where the sun sets over the sea. And the 9 hole golf course, the only one anywhere on World Heritage turf, is in a setting so spectacular I could almost see the point of golf … hitting the ball into the sea in such a place would almost be an honour!
|1% of World population of Lord Howe Is Woodhen#|
Down to the last 30 birds in the 70's, the woodhen narrowly escaped extinction through a successful breeding program and its population is now stable at around 300.
|My arty shot of the lagoon|
Top 5 things Lord Howe Island doesn't have:
1. Public Transport: Walk, cycle, or hire a car – but only if you can drive at 25 kph or less!
2. Cats: All cats, feral or domesticated, have now left the island. Some bird species are showing their gratitude by increasing their populations significantly!
3. Mobile Phones: Clearly not Telstra shareholders, an island referendum voted against them! My care factor? Zero!!
4. Crime: Although I could be wrong about this. We DID see a couple of cyclists without helmets – could this be the start of an unprecedented crime wave???
5. Snakes: WOO HOO! Yeah!! ALL Right!!! Walk without fear in that long grass!!!!
|My arty sunset shot!|
# Pic by Pilchard
* Apologies to Charlene